Permanent Resident (PR) Card Renewal

PR Card renewal

New permanent residents don’t need to apply for a permanent resident card (PR card). They will receive the PR card at their Canadian mailing address given to the authorities at the time of landing.

The person needs to apply for a PR card if:

1.) Card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months

2.) Card is lost, stolen, or destroyed

3.) a person didn’t receive the card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada

4.) Need to update your card (e.g change date of birth, legal name, etc)

You need a valid PR Card to return to Canada by plane, train, bus, or boat. If you are outside Canada and want to return to Canada and your card has either expired, or has been lost, or damaged, then you need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel document (PRTD).

If you are a Permanent Resident living in Canada and need to travel, please make sure your PR card must be valid at the time when you are going to return to Canada. You may otherwise need to renew your PR card in advance if required.

If you need any assistance in applying/ renewing a PR card, you can Contact Us.

pr card renewal