Applying for Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

The post-graduate work permit allows the international students who recently graduated from a Canadian designated learning institution (DLI) to gain valuable Canadian Work experience, which may make them eligible to apply for PR application to Canada under CEC. PGWP is an open work permit that makes you eligible to work for any employer unless any condition is written on their work permit. You don’t need an LMIA, to apply for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

post grad work permit

Remember, PGWP is only given once throughout the stay in Canada. Sometimes it may be extended if your passport expires earlier, and the work permit was given to you for a shorter period than expected duration because of passport expiry, but other than this it is not possible to extend it in the future unless an officer actually makes a mistake while giving a decision on the length of work permit.

The eligibility requirements for a PGWP are:

1.) Only the graduates from a certain institution/ program are eligible to obtain this post-graduate work permit. Please check the list below to make sure your institution offers PGWP eligible programs if you want to get PGWP after you study in Canada.

2.) Other than this, you have to apply for PGWP within 180 days of completing your study program. If your study permit is expiring soon, you have to apply for a work permit before your student status expired, otherwise you need to restore your status as a student along with the PGWP application, if you didn’t apply for PGWP before the expiry of your student status.

3.) You must make sure that you followed all the conditions listed on your study permit while you were studying in Canada, and have maintained a full-time status as a student in your institution during each semester. The only exception exists in the last semester, where you might have a part-time status in the institution, or you have approval for leave during your studies.

If you have recently graduated from a Canadian institution, and want to apply for a Post Graduate Open Work permit, you can Contact Us.