You are currently viewing How Can I Start Search for Work in Canada with LMIA program?
The National Flag of Canada and shadows of people, concept picture

How Can I Start Search for Work in Canada with LMIA program?

If you are looking for work in Canada, the LMIA program can be a great way to get started. This program allows Canadian employers to hire foreign nationals to fill jobs that cannot be filled by Canadians, or Permanent Residents (PR). If you are interested in applying for this program, there are a few things you need to know. In this blog post, we will discuss the basics of the LMIA program and how to start your job search!

Do You Need A Permit To Work In Canada?

If you are a foreign national hoping to work in Canada, you will need a work permit, in most cases. If you are found to be working without a proper permit, you may be subject to removal from the country. In some cases, you may also be fined or imprisoned. There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as if you are working on a film or television production, performing in a concert, or participating in an exchange program. If you are a student in Canada on a study permit, you are permitted to work while you are in the country without applying for a separate work permit. However, if your study is completed and you want to work in the country, you will need to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

If you are unsure whether or not you need a work permit, you can contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for more information.

In order to apply for a work permit, you will need a job offer from a Canadian employer and in most cases, the employer will also need to obtain a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) before you can apply for a work permit.

How Does The LMIA Program Work?

The LMIA is used to assess the impact that hiring a foreign worker will have on the Canadian labor market. If the LMIA is approved, the employer will then send you a copy of the LMIA along with your job offer. You will need to submit this documentation when you apply for your work permit.

There are some exceptions to this rule. If you come from a country in the International Experience Class, you can apply for a job without having an LMIA first. You can find the list of countries on IRCC website.

It is important to note that the LMIA program is not open to all employers. Only those who have made an effort to hire Canadians but have been unable to find qualified candidates will be considered for the program. In addition, the employer must be able to provide evidence that the foreign worker will be paid a salary that is comparable to Canadian workers in the same occupation.

The first step in applying for the LMIA program is to find a job that interests you. Once you have found an employer who is willing to hire you, they will need to obtain a positive LMIA from ESDC. The employer will then send you a copy of the LMIA along with your job offer so you can apply for your work permit.

How To Start Your Job Search

In order to get a LMIA, you first need to find a job that cannot be filled by Canadians. The best way to do this is to look at the Canada Occupation in Demand List. This is a list of the jobs that have the most employee shortages right now. If you have good experience in one of these roles, you may be able to apply for a position and the employer can then apply for an LMIA.

However, if you don’t have the experience in these areas or there are other suitable local candidates, you may struggle. That doesn’t mean you cannot find a job by other means though. Consider your experience and qualifications and start searching for jobs by other means. You can use job sites like the Canadian government job bank or even contact companies directly. Many companies will advertise the jobs as LMIA jobs because they have already advertised to Canadian citizens and failed to find a suitable candidate.

When looking at jobs, you need to consider the NOC (National Occupation Classification) code. This is a four-digit code that corresponds to the skill level and pay bracket of the job. Looking for high-skilled jobs will increase the likelihood of your work permit being accepted, but you will need more qualifications and experience to apply for these positions.

If you follow this process, you should be able to find a job and get an LMIA so you can apply for your work permit.

Do you have any questions about the LMIA program or how to start your job search in Canada? Please feel free to contact us and we would be happy to help!

Leave a Reply